Wednesday 11 October 2017

DC or DCC a question to ponder.

I recently asked this question on MRH forums to see how many out there are still operating and building DC layouts.

My layout plan is a simple one at that and I don't see a real need for block occupancy detection, computer control and signaling. in saying that I still want a layout that is fun and reliable to operate.

At the moment my attempts at DCC installs and operation leave much to be desired. I wonder if that is because I have spent years in wiring designs for power systems and find this kind of thing a chore. Lets be honest I hate programing things!

The reality is I own a DCC system but have always run and operated on DC layouts. My own shelf layouts and clubs I was previously a member of and to be honest they were reliable. This brings me to the decision to base my layout on DC with future DCC operation to follow.

My thoughts are a well wired and planned DC layout with all block control, individual track isolation switches and frog polarity will form a reliable base for future DCC operation.

My other main driver for DC operation is my desire to not have to re-motor and convert brass locomotives to DCC just yet. I have to many projects on the go at the moment and adding to the list of possible un finish projects doesn't seem like a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment